Tuesday, November 3, 2015

"Someday, Perhaps in the Far and Distant Future, We'll Find Each Other Again." The Legend Trilogy

  “Day, the boy from the streets with nothing except the clothes on his back and the earnestness in his eyes, owns my heart. He is beauty, inside and out. He is the silver lining in a world of darkness. He is my light.”  It's funny how the Republic's most hated criminal had become the Republic's strongest, wealthiest celebrity. You might ask, how. How did all of this happen? Love. Hope. Marie Lu explores the theme of love and hope in her fantastic series, the Legend Trilogy. The series begins when two parts of America go to war after the polar ice caps melted flooding a large portion of Eastern land. It is pretty fascinating on how Marie Lu also adds in science along with the other themes. Day and June lose all their loved ones and can only look upon each other for love as they try to stop the war. I believe the Legend trilogy is a great book for teenagers because it teachers the reader about the real world and gives hope to those who feel abandoned. 

  To begin, Marie Lu explores the themes of love and hope in a strange way, but in a way that teaches a lot about how the world is actually like. She writes about the perspective of a wealthy girl and a boy who's struggling in poverty. Both, June and Day lose their family, and only have each other. Although June might be rich, and Day might be poor, they both feel the same way. It's hard for them to mend their hearts, it's hard for them to forget about the past. It's hard for them to be optimistic. But they give each other hope. They bring each other joy. At the end of Champion, the concluding book in the Legend series, Day falls into a coma which drives June desperate.
  “Please don't take him away from this world. Please don't let him die here in my arms, not after everything we've been through together, not after You've taken so many others. Please, I beg You, let him live. I am willing to sacrifice anything to make this happen- I'm willing to do anything You ask. Maybe you'll laugh at me for such a naive promise, but I mean it in earnest, and I don't care if it makes no sense or seems impossible. Let him live. Please. I can't bear this a second time. Tell me there is still good in this world. Tell me there is still hope for all of us.” This shows how much June cares.
  Day finally wakes up, however, he loses all his memories about June at 17. He moves away, far from June and for 10 years, June was lost. She didn't experience happiness, she has all the money in the world but she doesn't have that joy she used to feel when Day was around. This shows that money does not buy happiness. Until they are 27 years old. Back in the streets of LA where it all first began. Day says he has been searching for June. Although he lost his memory, the fact that he was searching for something that had been lost can show that true love really does exist. Once I read this part of the story, I had so many emotions and questions, it really makes you think about their love. I was literally crying because the series ended. Still, this book gives hope to teenagers that feel lost and heartbroken. 

  Secondly, Marie Lu teaches the reader about how trust is very fragile but also very powerful. Marie Lu also goes into the theme of betrayal. It's really hard for Day to trust anyone because the Republic had done many bad things to him, as well as his family. The Republic had killed of his family. Now, the Republic needs him and tries very hard to gain his trust because the people look to Day as a leader and now the Republic needs it's people the treat them as a leader. Day gives in because if anything does go wrong he can easily control the people which shows that trust is very powerful but in the wrong hands can be really harmful. Although Marie Lu teaches the reader that love can fix all wounds, it isn't entirely true. It takes a lot of time for wounds to mend. Especially for June and Day. They had many big, horrifying events in their childhood which may scare some readers. Nevertheless, love can positively affect a human being, and so can trust.

  In conclusion, I think the Legend series is the perfect trilogy for those who feel lost and depressed. The trilogy is a perfect combination of action, adventure, love, trust, betrayal, power, family, science and more. It has a really addicting story line if you ask me. Once I started reading the books, I didn't let go. The ending is very satisfying and doesn't leave you at a cliffhanger, it is amazing. The story always refers back to the main themes, love, hope, and money. If you had to choose, would you choose money, or love?

1 comment:

  1. Your blog post was really well thought out, and using a quote as a hook is such an amazing tool. I couldn't stop reading once I read those first three lines, and it's such a good piece of writing. I think our favorite mutual friend can really relate to this topic.

    ReplyDelete